search

Diners - Various, 1920s & 1930s



There are many diners in the Garden State. The examples shown below were selected both for their visual appeal and historical significance.

Many thanks to Debra Seltzer at RoadsideArchitecture.com for the images and much of the information provided here.

(KNO, Spring 2007)




Max’s Grill, 1927, Harrison, NJ (closed). Made by O’Mahony. Photograph courtesy RoadsideArchitecture.com (see “agilitynut” links, below).

Tom’s Diner, 1930, Ledgewood. Made by Silk City. Photograph courtesy RoadsideArchitecture.com (see “agilitynut” links, below).

White Mana, 1939/1946, Jersey City. Made by Paramount Diners, Oakland, NJ. Photograph courtesy RoadsideArchitecture.com (see “agilitynut” links, below).

Max’s Grill, made by O’Mahony is 1927, is the oldest diner in New Jersey. Tom’s Diner in Ledgewood is a Silk City from 1930, making it the oldest Silk City diner still in existence. It was featured in the Cyndi Lauper music video “Time After Time.”

Our third example, the White Mana Diner in Jersey City, was built by Paramount Diners of Oakland, New Jersey for the 1939 World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows, Queens, where it was called the “diner of the future.” The White Mana was moved to Jersey City, where it opened in 1946. There were originally five White Manna diners in New Jersey. The one shown below was declared a local landmark in 1997 by the Jersey City Historic Preservation Committee. (The second “n” in Manna was dropped at some point.) There is a second White Manna in Hackensack.

References:

RoadsideArchitecture.com (see links below).

New Jersey City University website (see link below).

Links:
http://www.agilitynut.com/diners/5.html
http://www.agilitynut.com/diners/5a.html
http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/Pages/W_Pages/White_Mana_Diner.htm
About the Authors | Essential Bibliography | NJ Museums & Collections | Acknowledgments